Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Elspeth's made a film!

There’s been lots of feasting, festivity and jollity recently, as the local church celebrated its 175th anniversary.  There were – and are – various parties, masses and events, but the one that’s dominated the Gordon-Smith household is that Elspeth made a film, which was shown at a big party with the Bishop and other luminaries. 

I think it’s really good.  She asked people to send in photos, then linked them together in themes, with an interview from a parishioner played over the pictures, together with a music soundtrack and the whole thing moves along at a cracking pace. 

That pace came from the editing!  Naturally, if people are speaking naturally, they don’t (usually, at any rate) talk in coherent, polished phrases without hesitation or deviation.  I know; I typed up some of the transcripts of the interviews so Elspeth could get a script together and believe me, I know!  The trick is to make it sound natural while cutting out all the bits that would drive you mental if you had to listen to a recording.

It was an interesting exercise, typing up the transcripts.  I write a lot of dialogue and try hard to get it as natural as possible.  But, like the edited version of Elspeth’s film soundtrack, it’s an impression of what’s natural rather than the real thing.

Anyway, take a look for yourself.  (As you can tell, I’m bursting with pride about the entire thing!) 
It’s on Youtube and the title is The Parish.  Stalybridge

I hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment