Thursday, October 3, 2013

Weirdly Great

Writing is a sedentary occupation.  That, in a way, is one of its chief attractions.  So why, when Jessica, my beloved eldest and very sporty daughter said, “Mum!  You need to come running!” I didn’t promptly run in the opposite direction, I don’t know. 
She took me running.
It was awful.
My legs hurt, my knees hurt and I breathed like a leaky bellows.
“It’ll be better next time!” said Jessica brightly. 
OMG, next time????
Now one of my shiny new toys this year was an iphone.  “Perfect!” said Jessica, taking the phone from my nerveless fingers.  “You can download a running app.”
From Couch to 5K.  Okay....
It starts off all right, I suppose, and is full of pleasantly affirmative messages, but to someone who thought that lycra was something that other people wore, it’s all very odd.
“You need,” said Jessica brightly, “a goal,” and promptly signed me and her poor father up for a 5K run.
And so last Sunday I walked, ran and walked some more round Heaton Park.  I’ve got a medal that says I’ve done a 5K and – weirdly – it feels great. 
“Now,” said Jessica, “let’s do a mud run....”

 Photo: Good luck on the run! Amanda, mum,dad,james, jenny bob and Elspy!

2 comments:

  1. I never realised there's insanity in your family...you must be quite mad, you and Peter and Jessica! Going running in the cold and the rain and the...no, I'll stick to writing, thanks. But at least you'll be fit as well as mad, so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a matter of fact, it was a lovely day and Heaton Park is a beautiful place - although with too many uphills and not nearly enough downs! But, having said that, it's incredible how many times I've had to brave the rain to run round with Jessica. The whole family are at this running lark - Helen did a half marathon the other week - so yes, I think there's a streak of insanity there!

    ReplyDelete