Saturday, July 14, 2012

Frankie's Letter

I got the proofs through for the new book, Frankie’s Letter, in the week.  These are the printed proofs, which means I’ve got a really good idea of what the finished book will look like, which is, I have to admit, really exciting!

Frankie’s Letter is a bit of a new venture.  It’s not a Jack story – don’t worry, he’ll be back! – but a First World Wat spy thriller, with a new hero, the rather fanciable Dr Anthony Brooke.  Anthony studied in Berlin before the war and, in consequence, is an expert German speaker, a fact that makes him very useful indeed to the infant Secret Service.

I originally self-published Frankie’s Letter on Kindle, so I was absolutely delighted when Severn House bought it.  I mean, I love my Kindle and read and buy lots of books on it, but there’s something about a real book with proper pages that can’t be replicated.

Although Frankie’s Letter is set only a few years before Jack’s finest hours, it’s interesting how those few years bring a whole different tone to the writing.  It definitely has a pre-modern feel, in a way that the 1920’s books just don’t.  It’s a very sort of Edwardian feel that has somehow come out on the page without me being very conscious of exactly where the differences are.  Anyway, roll on September and you’ll be able to judge for yourself.  I haven’t seen the cover yet.  That’s the next good bit!

1 comment:

  1. Good news, Dolores - I'm looking forward to it. I'm interested that you say your writing is different for this WW1 book as compared with your Haldean mysteries of the 1920s. I wonder if it's the period and setting...or the fact that Frankie's Letter is more of a thriller (that's how it sounds from the description,) whereras Jack's adventures are traditional mysteries? Well, I must read it and find out!

    ReplyDelete