Saturday, April 16, 2011

Simple machines

sewing machine

It was my birthday yesterday (21 again!) and my lovely Other Half bought me a new sewing machine.

New to me, that is, as it’s actually one of the last made by the Glasgow factory in 1934.  The thing is, it’s so wonderfully simple.  Lucy loves it because it looks like something out of Sylvanian Families (you know, those cute toy dressed rabbits and squirrels and so on that come with little houses and lots of stuff for children to collect) but it’s actually a very solid, beautifully made machine that works.

I’ve had an electric sewing machine before and the principle is more or less the same as a hand operated machine, but the damn thing goes so fast that when you make a bish of things (and as a very plain sewer, that’s what I tend to do) it very soon becomes an inextricable mix of knots and problems.  This goes at my pace (slow) but it works.

Understandable mechanical stuff is one of life’s more simple pleasures. Don’t get me wrong, electronic stuff is great – I’m typing this on a computer, I’ll watch a DVD on the TV later today and I love my ipod but you can’t see how those things work, can you?  You can’t lift the lid and see cogs connected to wheels powered by springs or whatever. Being able to see how things work puts us in control in a way that pushing a button simply can’t.  I think that’s why understandable machines, such as steam engines, old aeroplanes, vintage cars and stonking great big engines in old cotton mills or historic ships generate such great affection.

Oh, and I’ve made a tea towel!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday - better later than never! We've been away so I missed the party (I assume my invite got lost in cyberspace ) Your new toy - sorry, tea towel maker,) sounds fascinating, and I do so agree about simple mechanical machines being
    much more fun than modern hi-tech ones. I'm useless at any kind of sewing, so my dream mechanical present wouldn't be a machine for that. I coveted some of the old gramophones in OFF THE RECORD though. Or a pianola, that'd be great. Oh dear, my birthday isn't for ages and ages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much in our house has been acquired because it's like Sylvania. For one wedding anniversary, my dear husband bought me a blue spotted pinafore so I could fulfil a dream of being more like Mrs Timbertop

    ReplyDelete