Sunday, October 3, 2010

Real Life?

Somewhere on the internet this week, my email pal, the author Donna Fletcher Crow (find her at her website Deeds of Darkness, Deeds OF Light) raised the question of real life as an inspiration for fiction.  It’s an interesting question, as it seems to be self-evident that real life has to be a powerful resource.  After all, if, on the cover of a book,  you read “Based on a true story”  then it’s a real selling  point.  But….

Agatha Christie, in her introduction to The Body In The Library wrote:  “Staying one summer for a few days at a fashionable hotel by the seaside I observed a family at one of the tables in the dining-room; an elderly man, a cripple, in a wheeled chair, and with him was a family party of a younger generation.  Fortunately they left the next day so that my imagination could get to work unhampered by any kind of knowledge.  When people ask “Do you put real people in your books?” the answer is that, for me, it is quite impossible to write about anyone I know, or have ever spoken to, or indeed have even heard about!  For some reason it kills them for me stone dead.”

And d’you know, I know exactly what she means.  When Agatha Christie, or anyone else for that matter – including me - is constructing a tightly plotted book, it can seem a mechanical exercise.  X bumps off Y and Z comes along and uncovers the dark deed.  Then, off course, you’ve got the Red Herrings – let’s call them A,B and C – to add pleasant confusion to the outcome.  Naturally, no one wants to read (or write!) about letters of the alphabet, so X and Y and all the others have to acquire personalities.   But they have to be a particular sort of personality.   That shy, mousey girl with an intense nature has to be capable of being so intense that, given the right motivation, she can be a credible murderer.  That jolly friend-to–the world, cheerful Uncle Charlie, has to show the odd flash of temper or meanness to make us accept that he, too, could embrace crime.  These personalities aren’t simply bolted on but spring from the plot.  What sort of person, to put it another way, would do this sort of thing? That way, with plot and characters working together, the book  becomes a unified whole.  And, because the book has to hang together, extraneous  bits have to be edited out.  If a character has a deep interest in chemistry, say, or mediaeval needlework, then that had better come into the plot somehow or the reader will feel a real let-down.  Now real people have all sorts of random interests and various quirks that makes them them.  Also – I hope! – the vast majority of the people we know well  aren’t actually capable of slipping arsenic in the tea or sawing through the axle of a car.   And that’s why raw real life isn’t much help to a dedicated detective-story plotter.  Real life is far too untidy and doesn’t stack up.  Fiction – an art – does.  That’s one of the reasons why it’s so enjoyable to read!

2 comments:

  1. donna fletcher crowOctober 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM

    Sometimes it's a narrow line, though, isn't it? Most of my writing springs from my research. But once it's passed through my subconscious, into my conscious, played out in my mind and apeared on my computer to be watched again and again in my head with each rewriting and editing I find myself hard put to say what's fact and what fiction--it ALL happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains something about Christie which I've often observed, but dare I say it of such a stellar author? Yes, I dare. Lots of her characters are rather cardboardy, not to say wooden. Not her major sleuths, Poirot or Miss Marple, but many of the other people in her books could do with a third dimension. I read and admire her books much more for the wonderful puzzles, than for the insights into human nature. There, I've said it - heresy, or is it blasphemy? But I agree with her (and you, Dolores, whose characters are not at all stilted, so real life is lurking in there somewhere!) that I can't write about someone I know so they'd be recognisable. However many of the attributes of my characters are based on qualities of people I know, altered a bit, or combined together in a way that I haven't met in real life so they are disguised (I hope) beyond recognition. When I read a mystery, the characters are justt as important as the plot - and I can forgive a book where the plot is perhaps a bit obvious, as long as the people in it grab and hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete