Monday, June 21, 2010

The puzzle in the priory

I’ve had a right old “booky” week this week.  It started off with a really enjoyable afternoon on Monday when my pal, Jane Finnis, emerged from her Yorkshire lair, crossed the Pennines to the broad, sunlit uplands of Greater Manchester and joined me in a double-handed talk in Dukinfield library.  There was a really good turn-out and a very lively discussion.  Jane writes mysteries set in Roman Yorkshire (I know, I know – there wasn’t such an entity as Yorkshire in Roman times and Jane, a purist, winces every time I say it, but you know what I mean!) and I write about the 1920’s.  That’s a pretty wide historical span which the audience seemed to thoroughly enjoy talking about.  What have the Romans ever done for us? asked Monty Python’s Life of Brian. Given us lots to talk about, that’s what!

The second “booky” event was a party on Saturday evening to celebrate A Hundred Thousand Dragons coming out. It took place at the Priory, the local tennis club (Dad’s been a member of the club since 1940-something!) and it was a great evening.  The weather was perfect and the clubhouse, which had been looking at little bit down-at-heel, had been freshly decorated. They’d had a flood a couple of months ago which wrecked the floor; gloom.  The insurance kicked in; rejoice!

Daughter Helen and I had spent the previous couple of weeks thinking about suitable games for the evening.  It’s not really a “dancing” do but we did feel people needed something.  So we got eight different detective-story covers, including old favourites such as Paul Temple, Sexton Blake and Sherlock Holmes, made them into jigsaws and gave each table a jigsaw puzzle to solve.  The “game” element came from the fact that Helen and myself had mixed up all the pieces, so that everyone had to hunt their particular pieces off the other tables.  Quote of the night was Rob White saying, in a determined Scottish way to his neighbours as he nabbed a jigsaw piece of Death On The Nile, “That’s my camel!”

Peter wondered what to wear and plumped for a very smart blazer and flannels.  He read an extract from the first chapter, which takes place in Claridges, and gosh, did he look the part!

I can’t reproduce jigsaw puzzles (a computer screen is really awkward to cut up into bits!)  but we did have another game.  Helen put together the Jack Haldean (clue!) Detective Codeword.  Here it is, if you’d like to have a go.

The Jack Haldean Detective Codeword!





































































































































































































































































































































12
1123179616205131625192316211
16614
23121525
11623102116651416201417
317266
16221724142132525
1851814
416661781192121866142
139176
10318111131627614163
182018371718111720
516441422014209
2011418
1623241518991661525
72017171114



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


































12345678910111213
14151617181920212223242526

How to play:

Solve the codeword by filling the letters in with the corresponding numbers, and using the clues to work out what the words are.

All the words have a murder mystery theme – three of them are detectives, and five of them are weapons! Good luck…

Here's some clues to get you going.  Letter 1 is J, 4=G, 6=L, 12=B and 19=Z. (It's the name of an old police series, but you should be able to get it.)

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your terrific-sounding and well-earned launch party! And double congratulations on your super reviews! Now if we could just celebrate with tea at Claridges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'you know, I've actually had tea at Claridges! It was, as you'd expect, really, really nice. Ah well, back to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea at Claridges? How wonderful! You must tell me all about it sometime, what you ate, what you could have eaten if you'd pigged your way right through the menu...and how about the dress code? Are tiaras compulsory, or merely hats? I'm glad the launch party went well - I've just downloaded the puzzle, I love that sort of thing! I'll let you know when I've done it, but not on the blog here - don't want to give anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to say I was wearing fairly ordinary clothes! I didn't even have a hat, but, even so, I was still allowed in. Claridges is really something, you know? It's like a country house, but with huge numbers of friendly staff. Think about having tea in a sort of ideal National Trust set-up and you'll get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the puzzle - loved it - particularly liked the fact that you'd found answers that included all the letters of the alphabet. Of course, this skewed the normal code-breaker trick of looking for the most popular letters. The most frequently found symbol in a text in English, if it's a straight substitution, will be E; next T; then...oh dear, I'm not sure, but it's between I,A,O,R, and S. But if you go and have words like...no, I said I wouldn't give any away. Well done, puzzle setters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen composed the puzzle and I thought it was a little cracker. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Jane.

    ReplyDelete