Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Crimefest

And so to Bristol, for a bakingly hot weekend of crime.  Last weekend was the annual Crimefest run by Myles Allfrey and Adrian Muller and I, for one, would like to say a big thank-you to them for making such a brilliant weekend possible.  Quite frankly, the thought of organising a convention on this scale makes me want to climb a tree and pull it up after me, but Myles and Adrian sale through and even (gosh!) look as if they’re enjoying it.

Writing, as it’s often said, is a lonely business. That’s perfectly true in my case, mainly, I suspect, because if anyone tries to make it a sociable business by coming in and nattering to me while I’m working, I tend to bite their head off.  So it’s really great to get together with a crowd of other partial serial hermits and blow off steam.

How Crimefest works is that every published author gets a panel which they share (thank God) with three other writers and a moderator.  My panel was moderated by the incredibly competent Edward Marston, author of tons of books, including the railway series which are fun about Inspector Colbeck, a mid 19th Century policeman with a penchant for railways, Rebecca Jenkins, author of The Duke’s Agent, an 18th Century mystery which I’m halfway through and enjoying very much and Andrew Taylor, who, despite being by any standards a star, is a very modest man and a very good speaker.  The discussion was called “Centuries of Murder” and allowed all sorts of musings on why, with modern conveniences to hand, we should bump people off in the past.  Dunno really.  It’s more fun that way I suppose and you don’t have to bother about DNA and stuff.

Duty done, I was able to sit back, relax and watch everyone else do the work.  The amazing thing is how well-informed everyone seems and what active lives folk have had.  Take Linda Regan, for instance.  As well as being a writer she’s an actress who’s starred in The Bill and Holby City, Pat McIntosh who’s a palaeontologist, Zoe Sharp who’s action woman personified and Michael Stanley, who’s two people really, both retired South African professors, who have tracked lions, fly aircraft and fought bush fires.  Sometimes I think I haven’t tried hard enough.  Having industrial amounts of children and going to Tesco’s doesn’t seen as exciting somehow.

But, of course, the real pleasure of any weekend like this is meeting old friends and making new ones.  J.G. Goodhind (Jeannie to her friends) is always fun to meet up with and like the living embodiment of her character, Honey Driver.  Less corpses perhaps – but that’s a social plus, really.  Dinner beckoned and a group of us hit Bristol.  I was trying to drag my fellow diners into the 21st Century by showing them my ipod.  Marvel, I said, at its neatness, its compactness etc, etc.  Prithee, look and I will even use it as a video camera.  Well, that fell flat. Without a handy teenage I couldn’t get to play the damn thing.  Huh.  Never mind, I said, brightening, there’s tons of music on it.  Play me something you think I’d like, said Rebecca Jenkins.  Okey-doke.  I selected a classical piece, George Butterworth’s Banks of Green Willow. How about you, Suzette, I said, proffering the instrument to Suzette Hill.  Now Suzette’s got an incredibly expressive face.  As she listened, that incredibly expressive fisog turned to horror and she ripped the earphones out with a shudder. “Disgusting,” she said with deep feeling.  Well, dash it, my music selection’s not as bad as all that.  It was the Jazz standard Sway I was playing.  “I know,” she said in a sort of heartfelt way.  “Bend with me, sway with me? Well, really.”  I felt just like Bouncer the dog encountering Maurice the cat and if you’ve read Suzette’s books you’ll know exactly what I mean.  Meow!

4 comments:

  1. I love CrimeFest and was sorry to have to miss it this time - irresistible force met immovable object and I was in the middle. It's wonderful to have a whole weekend where you can talk about books, (your own and everyone else's,) rejoice or fulminate about reviews (ditto,) and where you don't have to wear a t-shirt saying ASK ME ABOUT MY BOOK because everyone will be genuinely interested. I'm glad it was a success as always - and I'll be back next year, but not sure I'll ask you to demonstrate your iPod over dinner. I'd rather just eat, drink...and talk about books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Jane, and we'll see you next year. Meanwhile, I agree that Dolores is not the world's best expert on ipods. And as for her taste in music . . . well, all I can say, distinctly suspect! But she writes good books and is a superb panellist, so all is not lost. She is also right about Crimefest - a fascinating weekend with great talent and much hilarity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my taste in music! My ipod has a fairly random selection, I admit, but at least I didn't try and play Geoge Formby to you. (For some reason, there's an awful lot of George Formby on my ipod!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like George Formby songs, what I can remember of them..."When I'm cleaning Windows" for some reason was a favourite of a friend of mine at Uni, so she sang and I played it (guitar, not uke,) rather too much. There was a rude verse about General de Gaulle, which I suppose was originally aimed at Hitler or someone. But don't you have lots of wonderful 1920s jazz on your iPod? Gorgeous stuff, and goes with your period

    ReplyDelete