Saturday, March 20, 2010

The yoghurt of despair

I don’t know if you’ve heard a creaking noise recently, but don’t worry if you have; it’s not an imminent earthquake – well, I suppose it could be, but you’ll probably know by now if Nature has decided to chuck her weight about.  The creaking I’m referring to is the low thrumming noise caused by my brain working.  I’ve been working out a new plot, you see.  Thoughts writhed like threshing snakes, synapses threaten to part under the strain, random post-it notes appeared above the cooker, and all seemed dark.  Wow.  Apart from the sheer tension of the thing, it  gives you such a dismal view of life.

You see, in normal, everyday life, I’m tolerant of cats, (even when they poop in the bedroom – see previous posts where I’ve mentioned this less than lovable habit!) pleasant to kids, regularly help old ladies across the street (whether they want to cross the road or not) a walker of dogs, a cooker of meals, and so on and so forth. I am, more or less, merely a vat or container for the milk of human kindness, a veritable shining light.  A spiritual boy scout, you might say.

But there’s a darker side.

You see, in my sort of books, I have to postulate (and, by gum, that hurts if you’re not expecting it, I can tell you, and the cream the doctor gave me doesn’t work at all!) about one, two or several people in whom the milk of human kindness hasn’t so much gone off but has turned into a solid green mass of bacterial lumps. They are possessed by the yoghurt of despair, the cheesecake of crime.

I mean, by and large, I like (see claim to Boy-Scoutness above) my fellow-citizens and think well of them. So why should a group of the aforesaid f.c.’s suddenly decide to throw caution to the winds and start sticking pointed implements into each other, reaching for sandbags and thinking the day’s lost if they haven’t had their quota of corpses?

The answer to that question is called A Plot, and thinking it up is blinking hard.  But I’ve got there.  On Friday, at five past three, came the sound like that of a Great Amen mixed with the overjoyed cackle of a hen who’s laid an egg, and I joined the ranks of humanity once more.  All I need now is for David Beckham to make a miracle recovery and for England to win at rugby, and peace, perfect peace, is mine.  I think a drink is called for!

5 comments:

  1. I love thinking up plots, though I agree it's hard work. My publisher demands a synopsis at some point, preferably before the book gets written, though it might be more use afterwards, because the REALLY hard thing for me is sticking to the blankety-blank outline once I've composed it.

    As to why someone as blessed with the milk of human kindness as you or I should want to bump people off in fiction...maybe the reason we're such wonderful people, and so modest with it, is that we can get rid of all our angry, vengeful thoughts in our books. Don't tell me you've never thought, as you contemplated the death of one of your characters, "Now if only this could happen to that so-and-so who was rude to me last week," or, on a more generally altruistic plane, "some of those bankers who have caused the Credit Crunch."

    Good luck with the new plot - is it another Jack Haldean? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is another Jack adventure, Jane - and I'm looking forward to seeing him pit his wits in this story.
    And yup - thinking up 'orrible fates has a wierdly enjoyable side to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love the "veritable vat for the milk of human kindness" persona! Me too, me too. My favorite venue is my rose garden and my favorite activity is drinking tea from china cups. Therefore you can imagine the joy it gives my sons when "Mom gets bloody" (American use of the term, I hasten tio add--as in writing really hard-fought battle scenes--Bannockburn, Flodden Field, etc.) Just about highest accolade I ever received was from a U. S. Marine who praised my battle scenes as "realistic." Not in my rose garden, you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something really special about drinking tea from china cups - I really do think it tastes better. Having said that, my favourite cup for tea (tea isn't just a drink - it's a Life Force!) is a massive Star Trek mug that I had for Christmas. By some miracle of chance (I can't believe it's thought out design) although it's huge it's easy to drink out of - and the handle is in the shape of Mr Spock's ear, which always makes me smile.
    I'm looking forward to your new book, Donna. It's out in July, I believe. Is there a battle scene in it? With your love of gardening (look at Donna's website everyone for some lovely pictures) is it a scene from the War of the Roses? (Ouch!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Now is the winter of our discontent" and all that--except it's spring, so I need to get the garden pix on my website changed as we're seasonal with them.

    Alas, no battles in A VERY PRIVATE GRAVE. Just about every other kind of mayhem I could think up, though. And yes, lots of blood. Tee hee.
    Thanks for asking.

    For those who wish to follow your excellent advice, Dolores, it's www.DonnaFletcherCrow.com

    ReplyDelete