Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grumpy Old Winter Poem

There’s a programme on TV that I love – Grumpy Old Women. As yet more snow fell on Greater Manchester, I became a tad grumpy myself.  I mean: –

First day;  It’s Snowing!!! Happiness, snowball fights, build a snowman, go sledging. Aren’t we lucky?

Second day:  The snow’s really stuck, hasn’t it?

Third day: Gosh, aren’t we having a lot of snow?

Fourth, Fifth and subsequent days from before Christmas until now:  You can have enough of a good thing, can’t you?

And more than enough.  But snow and winter always seem to be poetic, somehow, so here goes:

January brings the snow;

Makes the toes and fingers glow.

Are we happy? I think not.

It’s snowing such an awful lot.

Why are my fingers glowing as above?

The kids have nicked my ruddy gloves

And my wellies, so with frozen feet,

I hobble down the frozen street

Ice clinking in my gin is fine,

Especially with a twist of lime

But as stuff to walk on, its not good

And my language isn’t all it could

Be, as slipping and sliding something rotten

I end up once more on my bottom

The car’s stuck in a solid drift

I’ve dug it out but it still won’t shift.

So off to Tescos we must go

To buy some salt to melt the snow

But Tescos has been caught on the hop;

There is no salt within the shop

The shelves are swept completely bare

Where once was salt is only air

I ask the lady at the till

Pray tell me, do you think there will

Be more salt? She shrugs with exquisite humour

And says that there’s a persistent rumour

That they’ll have more salt in Spring

When we don’t need it for anything,

But chips and a sprinkle on your grub.

What? Bugger this, I’m going to the pub.

Back at home and thawing fast

I turn the radio on to the blast

Of A Winter Wonderland. Was the fault mine?

That, maddened by constant repetition,

I hurled the radio to perdition.

The roads are blocked, the trains are slow

The weather’s at an all-time low:

There’s been too much snow of late

Winter’s past its sell-by date.

6 comments:

  1. William T. McGonagle rides again! Well, yours is better, but it doesn't have a train crash in it...Actually I like Grumpy Old Women too, and I don't think they are especially grumpy in fact; they talk sound common sense, and I agree with them most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem! Your snow has even made news in Idaho.

    Cheers,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jane and thank you, Donna!
    We've now got rain on top of ice which has made everything soooo slippy and slidey that I didn't even try and get the car out this morning. Grumble, grumble, grumble...
    I'm amazed our (by American standards) tidgy bit of snow has made the Idaho news though. It's a bit like the (real) old headline from 1912- ish or thereabouts, "Fog in the channel; Continent isolated!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! My mum thought it was v funny too :) Maybe you'll have to add another verse about all the black ice - the BBC weatherman seemed absolutely thrilled by the prospect last night, which means it's going to be really bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It depends which bit of the States, though. Most of them over there cope brilliantly, but we were in Washington DC a few years back in January and they had about three inches of snow, which they weren't prepared for or, it seemed, used to. All sorts of museums and suchlike closed down early, pavements were barely walkable; the theatre we'd planned to go to cancelled its performance. But it was sunny, and we hardy Brits enjoyed the fact that the city was more or less deserted. We got in to see the Declaration of Independence and the other historic documents without having to queue, and for a while were the only sightseers in the room. I wonder if London has been like that these past weeks?

    Here's a poem about black ice for all fans of William T McG:

    Oh horrible cold black ice,
    You really are not very nice.
    You cause folk to slither and slide,
    Which is something nobody should have to abide;
    I tumbled down upon my bottom,
    And cried out, "These ungritted pavements, God rot 'em."
    Oh horrible cold black ice, at the start of two thousand and ten,
    You will be remembered for a very long...(no, wait, I should have used that last year)...you will be remembered until I don't know when.
    (That's not a proper ending. Er....got it!) As long as snow falls and verses rhyme,
    You will be remembered for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, that's brilliant! I think there's a real case to address each other in verse from now on. I was interested in your comments on Washington, too.
    I think we're always ready to say that in Britain we don't do things as well as (Insert name of country here) but it's not always true.
    Take the efficient Germans, for instance. Their buses (this was in Berlin) were a dream; clean, comfortable, inexpensive and totally, always, on time. The trains, however, were as iffy as they are here; okay, but nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete